Pages

April 10, 2007

Very Sad Loss

Shelly at Abstract Thoughts had a post on Easter, please go visit her blog. This is the post on Easter:
"My Easter did not turn out as planned. In fact today will be a day my family will never forget. At about four in the afternoon, my mom called my house wanting my sister to return home asap. My mom just lives down the road from me and that is where my sister and her daughter have been staying while her husband has been in Iraq. My husband went with her because my mom sounded very upset and I stayed home with her daughter and my kids. Two men were waiting in their military vehicle and I am sure you know where I am going with this. Her husband had been killed in Iraq today. It still feels so unreal to even write about this. I just don't know what else to do. I had my neighbor come over and sit will all the kids so I could be there. It felt like a movie. The two men in uniform, the paper work. My husband said my sister just lost it and he just held her tight. I feel so bad for her. He was due to come home for a two week visit at the end of this month. He was looking so forward to coming home to see his 6 month old daughter. She was just 2 weeks old when he had to return to Iraq for the second time. What sticks in my mind the most was that he was so scared to go back for a second time. My sister said he had nightmares about it and was afraid he was going to die. I can't stop thinking about it. They have not released any of the details yet. I just pray he died quickly and he was in no pain. The thought of him dying alone or wounded just does not settle with me. What a tragedy he would have been 25 in June. He will never know his daughter and his daughter will never know him. I think of how this will affect her life. My sister is in shock. She was surrounded by friends and family all night. We all cried, my heart just aches for her. I feel sad, mad and most of all I just don't know what to do. I can't believe he is really gone. My kids don't really understand. He loved my kids he always played with them, teased them. When my oldest daughter was born he was one of the first people up at the hospital to hold her. He got to spend more time with my kids than he got with his own daughter. My niece looks just like him. I kept starring at her all night. Smiling and happy to young to understand that she will never know her father. What a terrible day. I have to be strong for my sister, which I did, I made calls for her which was so difficult for me. But when I got back home to my house I just lost it. It feels like a bad dream. I don't know how any of us are going to sleep. One of the hardest things is that we have to wait 7 to 10 days before his body can return home. I can't believe he is really gone. Every day families are going through this. Every day those men in informs are telling families that there loved one was killed at war. We hear about it every day but until it happens to your family you can never understand."

Our deepest sympathy to your sister and to your family, Shelly.

5 comments:

Pookie said...

Please know that I offer you my deepest sympathy for your sister, her children, and the rest of her family.

I am truly sorry for your loss. All I can do is pray for your family and I will.

Shelly said...

I can't thank you enough for letting people know about my brother in law we are still in total shock but it really helps to know that others are thinking of our family. My sister is struggling I think she still can't believe this is happening. Thanks so much again.

that frolicsome kid said...

My sympathies to you, Shelly! =( I didn't know such a tragedy could have happened to your brother-in-law. May God bless your family and help you all in times like this...

African Refugees said...

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy, Shelly. May God bless you.

deuddersun said...

This type of thing really brings the War home and puts a face on it. It is Viet Nam all over again.

My deepest sympathies and regrets, for your terrible loss, Shelly.

d.