Pages

December 02, 2009

The Smaller Dinner Plate

We started using smaller plates, thus fooling our stomachs into thinking they are receiving the regular amount of food. Why look, the plate is full so we must be getting ready for another feast. I can't say gourmet feast because the way we eat is definitely not gourmet. But it is nourishing. You know how someone says "Is he cute?" and to be honest you can only come up with "He has such a good personality". Same sort of diversion. Enter the small plate.

It is funny how my brain can be led down the garden path so easily. Now when I bring out the regular size dinner plates they look like the must be dinner platters, they are HUGE now that I have gotten used to the smaller plates. Actually the plates we use are salad/dessert plates. I always heard that as people mature (ahem, attention all seniors) we don't need to eat as much as we did when we were younger. I am here to attest to the fact that I do NOT need to eat like I used to and I feel better when I eat less and when I stay away from FF&K. I try not to say it out loud because my stomach really likes this and if it hears FF&K out loud or smells it there are rumblings and growlings that are hard to speak over. Let me whisper: frenchfriesandketchup. Did you hear that? Anyway, my friend at Fragrant Liar has inspired me to diligently watch what and how much I eat between now and Christmas. I think she jump started a few of us with her post about food. Hip Hip Hooray, let the games begin. Everyone in their places. Ready Set Go.

14 comments:

Shadow said...

the holidays, the food and the figure just don't go well together full stop. good luck, keep on tricking your tum. it does work though...

Cindy said...

Great idea, I will have to check out that blog. I think it would be a good trip to play on the mind. I am there with you. take care.

Clippy Mat said...

i tried the smaller dinner plate but forgot to reduce the portion size... what a mess.
i'm getting there. :-)

Unknown said...

Small plates? Is this how we trick the stomach? Oh I donno.

I usually use an ENORMOUS plate (a pie porcelain dish actually) to eat. I like to have a lot of space when I eat. Here to put the vegs, here to put the fish, and here we shall have chicken. Oh and rice too!

Brian Miller said...

small plate do work the trick...unless you just keep fillin them up...yeah, i'll join that race...

Ina in Alaska said...

Small plates = good idea. I don't hold back on eating what I want. It is also key to walk or dance or just MOVE. Remember that post I did a few weeks ago when I presented those Arctic Roadrunner's FFs????? No K for me, just S (salt).... ps I think you are CCK????????

Joanna Jenkins said...

Ha!!!! "Let me whisper: frenchfriesandketchup." All I can add to that is "chocolatemilkshake.

i've been doing the small plate thing for a while and I'm determined to take a few pounds off this holiday. It ain't easy but I'm working on it!

So yes, we're off.....

xo

Mike said...

I do that with bowls. If I eat ice cream, I always use a tiny bowl.

Bogey said...

Sigh...regardless of the size of the plate, if I am hungry, I will eat. Gotta love those FF&K's though. Especially Fresh Cut.....

Julie said...

I love FF&K! Even reading it in a whisper makes me want to head for the kitchen...lol! That's great.

I think the small plate is a good idea. I'll give it a try until the Christmas feasting begins. After Thanksgiving, I probably have at least two pounds extra in my trunk:) Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out now.

A Free Man said...

Not a bad idea! Let us know how it works out.

Mary Witzl said...

I did this too, but we all just go back for seconds. Still, I think it will work after a while. I'm trying to scale down our portion sizes and hope for the best.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I am a fan of the small plate, but when I use big plates, I arrange the same amount of small plate food in a pretty way - like the restaurants (yeah, I'm a dork).

Yousei Hime said...

The Japanese use much smaller plates and several of them, four to five dishes. Using chopsticks slows down eating too. My father-in-law recommended trying one chopstick. ;)