Pages

December 27, 2009

Two Fer

There was no way we could keep up with the snow here the past few weeks. Hubby has a cracked rib that is taking its time to heal and trying to shovel snow even carefully is not helping. I would do as much as I could. The snow shovel is about as big as I am and looking down the driveway with two to three feet of snow with 5 foot drifts here and there, the driveway looks as long as a football field. At least that is the impression I have as I feel so intimidated by the overwhelming job of trying to get enough snow out of the way to get the car out of the garage. I think everyone who knows me is by now tired of the snow stories, especially my family in warm sunny southern California.

Hubby suggested we look on craigslist for someone to do the heavy work, enough so we could get to the library and get groceries. We found several ads right away and called one and arranged for someone to come here today around noon. We got a two for the price of one, two very nice young men with two machines. Until today I never cared to hear machines roaring, but I so liked those rip snorting snow eating machines here today.

Yay, we were able to get out of the garage, get down the driveway, take care of the errands, and neither one of us has a sprained back. I have a big grin on my face and I am going to make myself a cup of hot green tea. Yeah.

20 comments:

Yousei Hime said...

Oh, good for you, able to find help. We had cold rain for Christmas. I think I would have preferred to be snowed in. No cracked ribs though. Best holiday wishes to you.

Lori said...

Ouch! Nothing like trying to shovel heavy snow with a cracked rib. I am glad that you found some helpers. :) Enjoy your nice clean driveway and your green tea! XX

Ronda Laveen said...

Yep, as we get older, sometimes it's just better to pay someone to come over and help out. It's a win-win all they way around.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I knew you could do it! Congratulations on the unsprained backs and I hope it melts soon. (I know, it won't, but I can wish it for you anyway.)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Sorry about hubby's rib-- Ouch!

There's A LOT to be said for calling in the "big guns" to move snow. It's an exhausting and seemingly endless job by hand. Glad you got some help.

xo

Fragrant Liar said...

What a good feeling it must be to have all that white stuff gone that was blocking you in.

Enjoy that gren tea!

Anonymous said...

Yay for the fix-it men!! ;0)

Brian Miller said...

everyone needs help sometimes. good to have people to call when needed. how much snow did you get?

enjoy the tea.

Unknown said...

Yay for SNOW MACHINES!!!

Shadow said...

where there's a will, there's a way, yay to you!!!!!

gayle said...

My dad grew up in Nebraska and he said the winters were COLD!!! Good thing you got help with the snow!!

Bogey said...

Every once in awhile, isn't it nice to just watch somebody else do the labour. Even if it does cost a couple of extra bucks. It sure beats cracking more ribs. At some point, you will probably run out of room to heap the stuff onto. Perish the thought! ;)

Sarah Sullivan said...

Whoot...here is to strong young men with machines!! The last two winters here have had huge snow. Thank goodness for a young husband - LOL! This year ....nothin' no snow at all right now. Might get a little this week. We shall see if the winter brings some more. Hoping you dig out soon. Stay warm and cozy..passing raspberry tea your way!!
I do love being older..I feel like I have settled into my own skin a bit!! Have a good morning!
Hugs, Sarah

Charles Gramlich said...

Sometimes the machines are not our enemies. But beware of the terminators designed as snow blowers.

Cindy said...

Good job my friend. You deserve it, I swear I am going to pay someone soon too. I don't know how your husband could do it with a cracked rib. Take care to you both. Happy New Years.

Big Dave T said...

So far we've not gotten deluged (hmmmm don't think that's the right word) with snow but since this is Michigan, it's coming. I don't own a snowblower either. I could use a new shovel though. Thinking of going to an Amish community where they should have good snow shovels, instead of those cheap plastic ones.

Mike said...

Always nice when you can call someone for help!

Chrissy said...

I'm glad you found help and I do hope your hubby heals quickly. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Julie said...

I used to live in Ohio, so I can really relate to your snow stories. I'm not a "snow person," but my time up north helped me see the beauty of snow. Of course, it's not beautiful when you have to shovel it or drive in it! What an ordeal. I hope your husband's rib heals quickly. That is so painful!

Jeni said...

When it comes to snowfalls these days, I am really grateful that the Son-in-law is here and that Mandy is able to clear out the parking area too now -that was always a job I hated having to do by myself for so many years! SIL is talking now about getting a plow attached to the front of his big pickup truck and envisions making more than a few extra bucks by offering plowing services. Not down here where we live cause most everyone around us either has a lawn tractor with a plow or a snow blower so he'd have to have his customers lined up in a different area. But sure would come in handy here for getting our parking area cleaned out in a fairly level manner too!