Pages

January 05, 2007

SeaBiscuit

The book "Seabiscuit, An American Legend" by Laura Hillenbrand is so well written I felt like a participant, a spectator of the events of that time, instead of someone picking up a book every evening to continue the read. If someone had told me that a book could be so well written that I would feel like I was inside the "mind" of a horse, even a spectacular racing horse like the Biscuit, I would have shrugged it off. But that is what is felt like as I flipped the pages, devouring every word and emotion. I have never been to a horse race. I did not read the comments on Amazon.com until I finished reading the book. It took me longer to read this book because it is so dense. It isn't just about a few races; it is a powerful all encompassing true description of the events and challenges of many people involved in the racing world in the 1930's and 1940's, including the famous race horse with the knobby knees.

No comments: