Groundhog Day grew out of a German superstition
that if a hibernating animal casts a shadow February 2
winter will last another six weeks.
If no shadow is seen, legend says spring will be early.
From Our World:
"Top 10* Reasons to Celebrate Groundhog Day
11. It's on nearly every calendar.
10. Helps relieve cabin fever.
9. Spring or not, it's six weeks till St Urho's Day.
8. Forecast is no less reliable than the National Weather Service.
7. At least one of them critters is bound to see things your way.
6. Valentine's Day is too depressing for romantically challenged people like me.
5. Unlike the Easter bunny, he keeps his dirty paws outside.
4. As they used to say on radio: "The Shadow knows".
3. It's fun to say "Punxsutawney".
2. If a rodent can bring us an early spring, more power to him.
1. In Minnesota, either way we come out ahead.
* I had some math training at a Big Ten conference school, which explains why there are eleven reasons in the list."