Pages

September 05, 2009

Some People Still Smoke

Ahhhh, nice dinner, then the relaxing after dinner cigarette. Inhale. Exhale. I wonder what is the matter with me. This doesn't taste as good as it used to. Must be the brand. Drive to the store to buy a different brand of cigarette. Inhale. Exhale. Huh. Still tastes gross. Go back into the store to buy a menthol brand. Maybe that will do it. Inhale. Exhale. Nope. Tastes like something I don't want to put into my mouth much less into my lungs. Light bulb going off!!! Duh. If the cigarettes don't taste good, why am I smoking them????

That was in 1981. I don't know what changed, but I am so grateful for the awareness it took for me to do such a turnaround and dislike smoking. My children had been nagging me for years to quit smoking. They were just young children and I smoked in the car, in the house, in the restaurant with no regard for anyone else. Even when my children would cough and swing their arms in the car. It was just an act to get me to stop smoking. Right? We did not know back then what second hand smoke would do to other people. People we worked around. People we visited. People in hospitals. People in our homes. People we loved.

I finally have come full circle. I finally get it. I understand I have to first love myself enough to take care of myself. To not smoke. To eat to nourish my body. To get some exercise. That is what happened in 1981. In caring about myself I was able to care about others and expand on that love to participate in the responsibility to leave a healthy planet for the next generations.

15 comments:

Mike said...

It is kind of nutty that at some point in our lives that we intentionally do things to ourselves that is physically harmful! My big vice is over eating, but at least that tastes good!

Brian Miller said...

great post! this rings amazingly true in my life. i have struggled with addiction. your last paragraph said everything...so well.

Jeni said...

Forty seven years and here I sit, still puffing away and rueing the day I picked up the first one, wondering if ever I will say with certainty, "That was my last one." I did quit, 11 years ago this past spring for 3 whole months and then, started up again. Why? I really don't know except that the urges just got out of control then. I have a prescription for Chantix and have dabbled with it for over a year now. Will power -seems to have run away completely from me. But I am planning another attack on the evil that has taken over my mind and body and hopefully, this time it will take and last.

Casey Freeland said...

I heard about an electronic cigarette... called blue smoke or something? Maybe that's a good alternative for folks who want to quit. Apparently you can use them anywhere. They don't give off any smoke or anything, but there's some kind of water vapor or something that makes it feel like there's smoke involved.

Cheers,

SLC

Jason, as himself said...

Big YAY for you!!!

Clippy Mat said...

I'm a reformed smoker too and I shudder to think of the second hand smoke I inflicted on others back then. I am happy for every day that I have been a 'quitter'.
;-)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Good for you!!!!! I understand it's a tough habit to kick. Great job.
xo

Berni said...

Good post and good for you. I have never smoked and I am really thankful I didn't as I understand it is very difficult to quit

Shadow said...

oh, may my body pleeez pleeez pleeeez decide to not like smoking either.... good for you girl!

Unknown said...

People who are addicted to smoking have weaker minds. Easily influenced by the drug and maybe peer pressure.

I don't make this up. It's in health journals.

Margie said...

I have never smoked but I have a sister that did for over 20 years.
When I would go visit her it "almost kill me" to be around that awful 2nd hand smoke & I would tell her how unhealthy it was for her children!
Well, one day she stopped, cold turkey and I was so very proud of her!
Ever since that day, she has taken very good care of herself...eats much better, exercises and likes herself much more too.

Good job on giving up the cigarettes! Yay!

Margie:)

Lou said...

I started smoking when I was 13 and smoked till 38..one morning I just got tired of coughing up green stuff and quit cold turkey. I think it's kinda funny that many people need a quit smoking drug to quit smoking now days.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm so glad you quit and stayed quit. Everything you say is true. I grew up with second hand smoke and must have stunk of it all the time. My brother had asthma and I was prone to lung problems, but still our father smoked. He died young, and I'm sure his smoking was a factor. Needless to say, I have never smoked and despise being around anyone who does.

I know how hard it is to break such an addiction, and you deserve so much credit for doing so. What I don't get is young kids doing it today when we know how dangerous it is.

A Free Man said...

I smoked for years and years and only quit because my partner got pregnant with out first boy. Then I picked up again after we moved to Australia. Now I think I've shaken it again. I hope so!

Anonymous said...

In Response to:
Spencer L Casey said...
I heard about an electronic cigarette... called blue smoke or something? Maybe that's a good alternative for folks who want to quit.

I agree, the e-cigarette is a truly amazing new device, and in my opinion has the potential to save millions of lives around the world. The FDA did however have a good point about Chinese Made smoke juice, as it does contain some pretty nasty chemicals. From here on out, I only smoke e-cigs filled with American Made Electronic Cigarette Smoke Juice. There are a couple of them out there, but I prefer Halo. It certainly beats smoking the "Chinese Poison"!

Johnny Blaze