Pages

November 10, 2011

Can I Have Your Autograph?


Glitter Graphics | http://www.graphicsgrotto.com/


James occasionally tells me stories of when he played in bands. This is one.

After working a steady gig for two years, the band was finding work at various venues. They were invited to play one afternoon center court at a large mall.

They arrived early to set up their equipment on the small stage. The four band members were used to working together and the setting up was proceeding according to schedule. The mall manager hurriedly approached them, asking them to not make so much noise. They didn't think they were being noisy, but they finished their task and began playing their music. The mall manager scurried over to them again, asking them to turn the volume down, it was echoing down the concrete halls in the mall.

Attempting to keep the volume down and still play the jazz, pop, funk that they considered their signature music, there didn't seem to be many mall visitors. They were used to playing to an audience.

Lo and behold, a group of Girl Scouts decided they liked the music, so they sat in a semicircle in front of the stage, moving to the music and giggling as little girls do. One girl jumped onstage to ask the saxophone/flute player, Mike, for his autograph. At the end of the gig, the rest of the girl scouts lined up for autographs too.

After disassembling the equipment, the band was on the way through the mall toward the parking lot. As they turned a corner they saw a pile of papers on the floor, each one scrunched up. There were all the autographs. Mike wasn't famous. Just a good sax player.

15 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I get the same kind of reaction when I dj. I call it the power of good music.

Ms. A said...

That had to sting just a little bit.

Rock Chef said...

I'd rather be good than famous.

I did sign one autograph a while back. I was sitting in a park one lunchtime, playing away with earphones one. An old guy came over and asked me for my autography - in case I suddenly got famous! I thanked him for the compliment and signed.

Brian Miller said...

oh the emotions wear off so quick dont they...in the heat of the moment he was, but oh how quick they cooled...

DJan said...

That has to be tough, playing to an inattentive audience like in a mall. We have the same thing during the holidays here in Bellingham, and I notice that the kids are the ones who pay attention to music of all kinds. The old fogies (like me) usually hurry right on by.

Syd said...

The Girl Scouts lost out. Glad that he knew he was good. Autographs are weird anyway.

Kristina P. said...

Maybe he was cute! :)

stinkypaw said...

somewhat sad and yet it brought a smile to my face - thanks for sharring

Liz Mays said...

Ouch! Did they have to do it where they would find it? Eeks.

Pat said...

I thought you were going to say that they realized that they were playing at the wrong mall!

Funny about the autographs! The whim of a young girl! Sigh!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Maybe they were attempting a merit badge in autograph seeking.

I was asked for my autograph on a plane by a woman who thought I was Carly Simon. I said, "I wish I could sing like her" and couldn't resist adding, "and she's much taller than I am."

Claudya Martinez said...

Didn't their troop leader tell then that littering is bad.

Maggie May said...

How disappointing and very naughty of the girls.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Cricket said...

Heh, heh... well what else can you say.

Suldog said...

As I recall, I've signed an autograph three times. I still wonder whether they were actually saved or not.