Pages

November 07, 2011

Working Toward True Good Health

This Doctor


Wrote This Book.

That is what started a healthier life for me.

Bread was part of just about every meal. Toast or bagels with breakfast. Or cereal and milk. Sandwiches and chips for lunch. A main dish and bread or rolls and butter with dinner. Even had bread with spaghetti. Or if I thought a salad would be good, it was accompanied by bread. I actually believed that making a hot wheat or rice cereal was a healthier choice than eggs and bacon.

And all that time I thought I was doing something healthy. After all, it was healthy grains. Whole Wheat. Rye. Whole wheat and flax. Low sodium and again, thinking it was healthy.

I wasn't really concerned about putting on weight as I got older; it just happens, even when I was not eating differently. It was something to put on the back burner but not do anything about. At least I was doing well emotionally and had learned so much about myself the past few years. Much healing had already begun within myself and in my relationships.

Since going wheat free, changes are glaring. I no longer even think about bread. Believe me, if I missed it I would make wheat free bread to fill the void. But I don't miss bread or crackers or cookies. I do not feel deprived in any way. I am eating as much as I feel like eating. It just so happens that the quantity is less than I was eating before. The amount I am eating now is the correct amount for my particular body. A custom healthy diet without stress. Thank you, Dr. Davis.

Speaking of stress, these days I am calmer and have more interest in doing things instead of just barely getting by doing what I absolutely have to do. I can accomplish more and still able to do even more. My senses are jiving and swaying to the new dance without wheat. Aromas are exquisite and tastes are enjoyable beyond belief.

Before wheat free, you would have thought I owned stock in the company making TUMS I was chewing so many of them. A large bottle a week. No longer need an antacid.

Isn't it annoying when someone gets saved, or is new in their addiction recovery, or first falls in love and they are so happy they want to share it with everyone they can? I feel like I am on the preacher podium these days. I am feeling good, and I wish everyone else could feel like this. Because this is working for me and many other people, I am sharing the info here.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? It is not. It is how we were meant to eat and feel.

27 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I will agree that as we get older, we have to choose what foods suit our own bodies. In my case, it is meat-free, dairy-free, and grains remain a favorite :)

Brian Miller said...

ha you are just excited about the changes you see in your life...i will go check this book out today as i could stand to make some lifestyle changes myself...

DJan said...

I am now almost two weeks wheat free and sugar free also. Since I didn't have any extra weight to lose, I'm apparently doing just fine in that department and not hungry between meals, either. Yay for us!

And I made ratatouille yesterday, YUM!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you are preaching because it is getting me thinking.

Cheryl Kohan said...

Wow, good for you! I agree with Jeanie...you've got me thinking.

Clare Dunn said...

OK. Why not? Tried everything else at least once ---some good, some not so.

This can't hurt, and has a high probability of helping. You have inspired this old soul today.

xoxoxo, cd

Gail said...

Congratulations...I am still searching.

Maude Lynn said...

I'm actually considering trying this!

Cricket said...

Mmm. I caught some of James' posts on this too and, as I said there, my wife and I are doing Atkins, and had similar differences. Ironically, it seems to work better for her, even though she cheats more than me, but yeah... cutting those carbs makes a big difference in, well, almost everything.

She had a recent physical, and all her numbers were spectacular: cholesterol, BP, A1C, and all that, and eating bacon and egg for breakfast instead of granola bars.

Pat said...

This sounds interesting. I will have to look into this.

LL Cool Joe said...

When you know you are onto something good, then you just have to share it with others! Of course that's what all the Bible bashers say too! :D

Kristina P. said...

I could really use a lifestyle change too.

stinkypaw said...

Hubby got me the book, I haven't started reading it yet, since I'm afraid to be honest. I'm not a big bread eater, but I do eat sugar... Thanks for sharing.

Ms. A said...

Wait a minute. What about "two little fishes and five loaves of bread?" Just kidding!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have the book on my wish list at Amazon. I know that when you stay away from carbs the cravings do go away!

Betty W said...

I´m happy for you. I can´t imagine my life without bread. But I admit I would like to read the book.

Mike said...

Um...I love bread! :) sorry

MiFlower said...

I am a true believer of you do whatever works for you. Each individual needs to find their own road to health and happiness. Whether it's no bread, no sugar, no gluten, or no alcohol (yikes!)
I wish I could find a lifestyle that was free of stress which would make me feel so much healthier and happier!

secret agent woman said...

I'm glad you found a diet that works well for you. For me a pescatarian diet with mostly fruits, veggies and whole grains is the one that seems to make me feel best.

Liz Mays said...

But it takes people who preach like you to help the rest of us. Keep on!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm so impressed with you and so proud. I believe that I'm allergic to gluten to some degree, but while I have always eaten healthily for the most part, I do love bread. I experimented with gluten-free breads, crackers and cookies and found them tasteless, so I haven't given it up yet. I'm a vegetarian and try to eat as much organic produce as possible, but clearly I have another major hurdle to overcome. Thank you for the encouraging tale, and the book recommendation.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hi Techno, I'm 2/3 of the way through the book and it's pretty powerful stuff. I'm not sure I can commit to the change yet, but I'm reading, reading, reading.
Thanks for the tip. xo jj

Maggie May said...

I love bread so much. I reckon I will just have to pull in my tum a bit more! LOL!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

African Refugees said...

Very informative! Thank you for sharing the good news.

Hilary said...

Between you and DJan, I think I'm going to have to look into this book. Thanks.

Syd said...

Glad that it is working out. I don't eat much bread or grains at all. However, on occasion, I have pasta! I am slim so the weight part isn't an issue. But I am always looking for better ways to be healthy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so glad it has worked for you and that you are feeling better! It sounds like a good diet but I like my toast in the morning:)