Pages

November 11, 2011

Honoring All Veterans

The flag hanging on our house is the flag my mother-in-law was given at my father-in-law's funeral. I didn't know them and had not met their son yet, but I am close to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and enjoy hearing their family stories and seeing their family pictures. My father-in-law was in the Coast Guard.

It seems weird to wish people Happy Veterans Day when in fact the day is a remembrance of so many men and women who died in the line of duty to their country. Veterans Day is meant to honor and thank all who served in the United States Armed Forces.

I would have loved to meet and have time with my husband's name sake. I join my husband and his brother and sister in remembering their dad today and honoring all who have served their country.

15 comments:

DJan said...

I too join you in honoring and remembering all who touched my life, past and present, who have served.

May said...

Happy Veteran's day to you and your family!!

Jeanie said...

I love that you can display a flag that has so much meaning to you.
Many thanks to your father-in-law and all who have served.

Brian Miller said...

thank you.

i am doing some remembering today myself...happy veterans day...

MiFlower said...

Thank you for sharing that. I remember Dad always putting the flag out for all the "holidays" that meant something to him and his fellow veterans. He would have liked you very much!

Cindy said...

Techno, Happy Veterans Day, I love how you are displaying the flag. hugs to you all today.

Liz Mays said...

It's a nice day to pause and be thankful. :)

Suldog said...

Amen. All who served deserve our respect.

Cricket said...

I feel better about "Happy Veteran's Day" ever since Buck (the Buck in Buck's Blues)cleared that up for me. Veteran's Day is for veterans, Memorial Day is specifically for war dead, not that we can't remember the dead today as well, and it seems somehow more appropriate in November rather than May, but there it is.

I believe I had stopped by his blog on a Memorial Day, and he felt the need to set me straight.

Pat said...

It is a nice day to remember our Veterans. It's too bad we don't think about them more often - I am guilty of this myself. My husband is a veteran AND today is his birthday! 11/11/11!

Ms. A said...

They have my gratitude and respect.

Anne H said...

I love the way people love the vets and our wonderful country!

Dave King said...

I don't find it weird. Sad for their passing, but happy for all the positives they brought.

LL Cool Joe said...

We had Remembrance day here in the UK yesterday and fell silent for 2 minutes at 11.00 am. I was glad to hear that both my daughters at their schools also did this.

Maude Lynn said...

I flew my flag, too!