Pages

August 18, 2009

The End Of Saturday Mail Will Be Soon


CNN News has an article about the demise of delivery of mail on Saturdays.

"The postmaster general of the United States, John E. Potter, has gone to Congress and officially asked for permission to do away with Saturday mail. He has told Congress that this will save more than $3 billion every year.

If and when it happens -- and it's beginning to seem inevitable -- the texture of the nation's life will be altered, probably forever. Saturdays without mail will feel like ... well, who knows? Maybe they'll feel like Sundays.
"

I have just started writing letters and placing them into envelopes, applying stamps (not necessary to lick stamps anymore) and mailing my nifty little letters. It has been so long since I wrote letters to anyone but my mother, but since I received a letter from my aunt I have decided to write my brother now too. The list is growing. It doesn't matter to me if there is no more Saturday delivery, as long as the modern day pony express gets the mail delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

10 comments:

Margie said...

I know I shall miss the delivery of Sat. mail but I can understand why this has to be done...the US postal system is in bad shape.

It's so very interesting about your starting to write letters as I too have been doing the same.
I have all these lovely cards I have bought over the years and they just sit & gather dust.
So just last week, I sent out 8 in the mail.
I plan on making this a habit & hope to receive mail back....so, I shall be checking my mailbox daily.
It's lovely to get a letter or card in the mail!

TC and enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

We have mail delivered every day. What's so special about the delivery on Saturdays?

I ask because I don't know. :)

Cindy said...

We don't get mail here on the weekends, hopefully the art of letter writing will come back full circle. I have been writing more letters lately. Mostly to my Mom since my Dad passed away. Take care.

Big Dave T said...

I don't think I'll really miss delivery of Saturday mail, but I've been thinking lately that we seem to be in the midst of some major social changes. We lost our daily newspaper, The Ann Arbor News, just this past month. And now we're losing our Saturday mail. What's next?

Mark said...

Makes sense that we eliminate Saturday mail. Who wants to receive bills and junk mail on the weekends?

Ina in Alaska said...

I actually don't mind if there is no mail on Saturdays.... except it will slow down the arrivals of the exciting mail orders....

Badass Geek said...

Well, I'm sure many will miss it, but if it saves money, why not. My generation probably won't have social security, so doing things like this to save the gov't some green is okay with me.

Nothing ever comes in the mail for me except for bills anyways.

Casey Freeland said...

It's a shame. And I understand that with the unrelenting private competition the U.S.P.S. is no longer a self-sustaining government entity. But the biggest shame is the loss of jobs, as that is what this will mean. Take $3 billion and divide it into, what $50,000 in salary. That's 60,000 postal workers out of work.

Brian Miller said...

a demise that has been comingfor some time...maybe i need to write more letters...

A Free Man said...

Speaking of relics of an older era...

It's a shame, really. Just goes to show that the written word on paper is becoming less and less important to us as a culture.