Pages

October 11, 2009

Sharing The Fruit Of Life

There is much to be experienced in this life. How we meet challenges can be cause for praise or condemnation. Usually self denunciation if we are disappointed in ourselves.

One way that helps me work through struggle is to share. Not in a codependent way by looking for gratification or recognition. In fact, many times I am able to share anonymously.

I have had many different lifestyles throughout the years. Since money rules in this world, sometimes there was plenty and sometimes not. When money was plenty, I was able to help people I didn't know or sometimes people I met but really didn't know. When money was in short supply, there were always ways to share, either my energy or knowledge or household goods. I read several blogs that show me that the writers share my belief that material things aren't on the same level as taking a breath or being able to think and speak. The things of this universe are for all of us. For as long as I have lived I have never felt that what is mine is mine alone. Yes, maybe I worked hard to earn money to get something that would enhance my life. But I could not wrap my arms around that material thing and hang on and guard it so no one else would try to take it away. In my heart I have always been content with just enough to meet my basic needs. My children would have preferred that I would have striven to a higher standard. I am grateful that they too believe in sharing as a way of life; however, they prefer to live on a much grander scale than I do. Perhaps it was my meager beginnings that set the course for me. Most of my childhood was very poor. But since that is all we knew, my brother and I accepted it and learned that hunger was just how it was. When other kids ridiculed my clothes I let them know how unkind that was, sometimes by being unkind myself. That is something I had to work on for a long time, not retaliating. We were one of the families that would benefit from a box brought to our house with Thanksgiving food and also one at Christmas. Otherwise there would be no extras on those holidays. Upon reaching adulthood I am somehow involved in sharing with families like I grew up with, even sometimes putting together packages and delivering to families myself.

What started me thinking about writing a post on sharing is that I am in the process of moving back into the house with hubby. Instead of ads on craigslist to sell the furniture in the apartment, hubby and I are giving the furniture to some people who need it. We have all been the ones in need of something here and there. Why should the almighty dollar rule over everything? Like I said, things are for all of us to use. This is sharing. Finding someone who has a need and sharing what I have. No strings attached. Hoping this person will be in a position to help someone else some day. With some thing or their time. No strings attached. Giving. Sharing.

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

in a much simpler world, there would be a lot more sharing. i will say with this economy i have seen more of it. hope you had a great weekend.

Beth said...

Paying it forward! We never have garage sales because I'd rather give what I no longer need to someone who does need it.

Great post about keeping it real.

Margie said...

Great post and it made me smile.
You are a caring and kind person and I really like that!

Margie:)

morethananelectrician said...

Being able to "give" is a unique gift itself...

Joanna Jenkins said...

Giving is a loving and considerate thing to do.
:-)

Unknown said...

* sniff *

Ina in Alaska said...

Greetings from snow-free Anchorage (so far...) You are sending such good vibes into the universe by giving away the stuff from the apartment. Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

Jeni said...

I've never been in a position of having much that wasn't totally worn out when it got disposed of so have never been able to give on a larger scale. But food -now that I've always enjoyed fixing and sharing -giving it to folks for their pleasure. Growing up, we had very little in the way of material things. Although I don't remember ever being hungry (unless it was because I chose not to eat something because I thought I didn't like it) I do know that we ate pretty frugally though. My grandfather grew a large veggie garden, year after year, and my Grandma and Mom were busy from June through October canning something, making jellies and jams as each different fruits came into season. My daughter though is one who, if she is getting something new -usually something new to her (i.e. used) and the item being replaced is still in good shape, very usable, she will often give it to someone she knows who needs such an item or else, she will list it on Craig's List, or put it out in her annual yard sale. My son has been extremely fortunate in that he has been given many things -large things like sofas, chairs, tables, a computer and even kitchen cabinets and counter topping that others had and were replacing! Just lucked out he did, in the right place at the right time. But it did help him immensely when trying to fix up his house, furnish it, etc. and he didn't have a very good paying job at the time so certainly could not have been able to afford to purchase those things even under the cheapest of conditions!
Loved this post though as it made me very grateful for what I have had over the years, still do have to this day -family and friendships that are worth way more than material items any day of the week!

Big Dave T said...

In our neighborhood, it seems customary to put things out at the curb that you no longer want, in hopes that someone else who needs it will take it. I've seen lots of furniture recycled in this manner.