Pages

October 04, 2009

Will The Virtual Libraries Of The Future Fill My Needs?


This article shakes my world. The library is my second home. The traditional room with rows of stacked books and videos and DVD's and CD's and some PC's.

I am so comfortable in a library. I might have mentioned in previous posts that I have moved many times in my life, about a hundred times actually, and lived in six states as an adult. Within a week of moving into a new place, I would find the local library. If the library was close enough, I would toss a back pack on my back, walk to the library, spend hours there getting to know the new layout. After checking out books with my new library card I would hike back to the new place and unpack the treasures I found at the library.

Because I have always been a voracious reader, it is not possible for me to own many books. For one thing, I move so much and books are heavy and costly to move, and for another, I would need to live in a mansion to fit all the books I have read. So the library has been my "best friend" all my life.

I have seen several articles lately like this one discussing the future of libraries and the trend toward digital. I can see myself some day sliding a disk into my computer and reading a book on the monitor. Not nearly as cozy as curling up with a book on the couch with my feet in hubby's lap while sipping a cup of coffee.

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

with the advent of things like Kindle it would not surprise me. i love to read as well and voraciously consume books. i would be broke without the library. i would miss the smell of the books. intoxicating.

Mike said...

The library will never go away completely, I do not believe!

Jason, as himself said...

I love the pic of the bookmobile...brings back my teen years when every week I would check out about ten books and read every single one of them, ready to get new ones the next week.

While I love my computer and the internet, nothing will ever replace holding a book in my hands or on my lap an leafing through the pages.

I'm happy to say that in my part of town, they just tore down some eyesore buildings and are going to construct a brand new public library.

Margie said...

Oh, I too am such a book lover!
If you could see my house, books everywhere!
I also love the library and am here a lot.
The library is such a comfoing place for me to be...all those books for my beckoning to read.

Virtual books just don't do it for me.

Good post.
Thank you.

Margie:)

Joanna Jenkins said...

The bookmobile picture took be back 40 years. I'd forgotten we had one of those. I go tot he library all the time with Godson. We love it. But budget cuts are shortening the hours and some are looking pretty shabby.

I was given a Kindle as a gift but it's just not the same. I've only used it a few times.

Have a great week.
xo

Ronda Laveen said...

I love libraries and used book stores. There is something so alluring about all those thousands of years of life being under one roof.

Shadow said...

gotta admit i don't relish reading a book from a screen...

Ina in Alaska said...

I too love the feel of books. We have a lovely library in Anchorage, you would enjoy it there!! Huge, there are historical artifacts from the early days of Alaska, a gorgeous meeting room, the Anchorage assembly meets there, an artsy water fountain, a coffee shop, very spacious, something for everyone.

A Free Man said...

When I was in middle school I think I spent most afternoons after school in the public library. And I still sometimes use the university library as a place to escape and hide for a while.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I collect books, mostly from garage sales..we live way to far in the sticks to get to a library often. It is the only thing I miss from larger towns. So I hoard books.. some I have been saving to read for years! :)

Bill Lisleman said...

that picture shows my age - I remember going in one of those special buses. I think books will be here for awhile. reading off a screen still needs much improvement before it has mass appeal.

Also, I understand vinyl LP albums are still selling well.

The bigger threat to books are encouraging people to read. I sometimes wonder if people are losing their attention span.