Pages

August 04, 2010

The All Day Boat

This was a new experience. She had been fishing on half day boats but this was the first fishing trip on an all day boat. The fishermen and women boarded the large fishing boat the night before so that they could begin fishing at the crack of dawn. The boat headed down the coast. It would take a few hours to reach the specified destination, so many people disappeared below deck to sack out on the bunks.

She was too excited to sleep. One of the boat attendants was taking orders for breakfast or burgers in the galley. She was always up for a hamburger so she ordered a burger with grilled onions and plenty of French Fries. She ate French Fries every day and did not tire of them. She expertly mixed ketchup and mustard, swirling it with the French Fries.

At first light more people appeared topside. It was funny to watch some of the big macho anglers running to the side of the boat and losing their breakfast overboard. Her stomach was not the least bit queasy. She rested on one of the long fiberglass benches at the back of the boat, dozing intermittently. By the time the captain announced there was plenty of fish nearby, she was rested and satiated and felt a huge smile spread across her face. She sipped a cold Coke and unpacked her fishing gear.

None of the fishermen and women were professionals. For some, deep sea fishing was a new experience. Fishing lines became tangled and some people were still nauseous, unable to participate in the free for all casting off the sides and back of the boat.

She took her time and enjoyed baiting her hook and casting off the side. After bringing in a few fish, she felt the jerk of the fishing rod and knew this was going to be a big one. In fact, she brought in the largest fish with the highest weight on that all day boat. She won the jackpot of the day that more than paid for the cost of the fishing adventure. This was a far cry from her first time fishing when she casted from a boat and proceeded to throw the rod and reel into the water.

She rolled up the hem of her jeans, made arrangements for the cleaning of her fish,
and sashayed off the boat past all the powerful looking men who congratulated her as she left the boat. She was only nineteen years old and the only one on the All Day Boat who arrived without a companion. But she took home more than she had imagined.

38 comments:

Opaque said...

That is the beauty of life. You get more than you anticipate.

Anne H said...

Mustard with ketchup...
French Fries...
Sipping a cold Coke...
It's funny the specific and favorite things we remember about great times.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. what a cool story techno...i love rooting for the underdog...and sounds like a beautiful day...

Betty W said...

Sounds like a very satisfying day! This would be something my husband dreams about, going on an all day fishing trip. I wish I could make it come true for him.

LL Cool Joe said...

"powerful looking men" don't always have the power, or in fact, want it.

Achieving something is power.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

the largest????? whoa!

DJan said...

What a great story, well told, too. I laughed out loud at the description of casting the rod and reel right over the side! And congratulations on the biggest fish to the lovely nineteen-year-old. You?

Dave King said...

Beautifully told, you kept the interest at max.

Jeanie said...

"I am woman, hear me roar". I bet that felt really good. Way to go!

ellen abbott said...

One of those shining star days!

TALON said...

I love the contrast between the first fishing trip and this one. I have to admit I felt sorry for the nauseated ones - I suffer from seasickness and it's horrible! Even more horrible when my kids and hubby don't feel it even a teensy bit - lol!

Sounds like one of those glorious days, TechnoBabe, that's a delight from beginning to end.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story. She definitely rocks! ;)

R. J. said...

That's a great story and success is sweet. I admit, I was a little bit curious to hear more of the story of her first time fishing.

Ina in Alaska said...

Sending hugs... just read your post about Sundays in my City.... xoxo

Alexandra said...

This story held me from the beginning. THis was so subtle, but I got the message...go girl!

Joanna Jenkins said...

It sounds like the perfect day for the fisherWOMAN right down to the early morning burger and fries.

I think I would enjoy fishing.... if it wasn't for the early morning, seasickness, bating the hook, cleaning the fish and all the other fishy stuff that goes with it.

Glad you won the jackpot.
xo jj

Kristina P. said...

What a neat experience in self-confidence.

Unknown said...

I love how you write.
Love. Love. Love.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Great story...I am loving learning of your adventures

Hilary said...

What a terrific tale. I love how you write.

Claudya Martinez said...

You tell a good story.

Sheri said...

what a great story! full of passion for life and the beauty of coming out on top! her calm confidence really spoke to me today...

Robert the Skeptic said...

She was clearly "the catch of the day".

Anonymous said...

WOO-HOO! High-5 to ya!! :-)

Big Dave T said...

Okay but . . . what do they do with all the fish they catch? I've seen those charter fishing boards unload their catch. Nobody can eat that much fish in a year. So where does all of it go?

Stickup Artist said...

That line about tossing the rod and reel into the ocean is hilarious!

I like to keep track of victories every day. Large and small. These moments can be called upon later for difficult times.

I especially liked that she was the only one on the boat alone. That is a victory in itself.

The Urban Cowboy said...

Right on, but I think those "powerful looking men" were actually thinking she was the catch of the day!

Cindy said...

TechnoBabe, good for you, it sounds like a wonderful day, fish or no fish, lol. awesome post.

Debbie said...

I am so glad her day turned out so successful! Great story.

Cheryl said...

Amazing! Yay for the young lady...

Wild Rose said...

Fantastic! And it was okay for the men to look :)

Wild Rose~

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I went deep-sea fishing once. Pulled up an 85-pound wahoo, and then proceeded to spend the next several hours dry heaving on the bottom of the boat. Finally, I drank a Coke and felt better. I think I got heat stroke fighting that fish.

Kazzy said...

Engaging. I liked that!

Unknown said...

Never understand the joy of fishing.... but I like the fish coming my way, please :)
Preferably roasted or in hot gravy.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

You must have grown very sick of fish after awhile.

jack sender said...

What a nicely told story. I enjoyed it. Smooth as Hemingway.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

This is so well written. Funny how we want to relate this to the time we tried to fish.

Marla said...

Oh, I love this!!