Pages

June 29, 2008

Ready For Battle

A favorite quote of mine is found in Jeffery Deaver's
The Twelfth Card:
"Sometimes the hardest battle is within your own soul".

You don't have to be a warrior to be fighting a battle. We struggle to remain constant in making wise choices. Many years ago a comedian was known for the one-liner "The devil made me do it". In real life, no one makes us do things. We make choices. We can gauge our growth by how soon we recognize an unwise choice and then how quickly we make amends. An amends can be as simple as speaking up and voicing an honest, sincere apology or it can be as difficult as changing a serious, significant situation.

Sometimes the struggle is over the minute we speak or write about the battle taking place within. Other times the battle rages on and on until we deal with it properly and honorably.

I'm not talking about power struggles; I am referring to struggles between the outside person and the inside person. When those struggles are quieted and resolved, there is true peace within.

I have been battling growing up my whole life. I didn't know what to do or how to do it. The child inside me has been struggling and fighting the same immature way until I was able to understand that was stopping me from moving forward into a mature and healthy adult.

2 comments:

gbchange said...

Well, if you are like me, the battle may be won but the struggle continues. Growing up is one of those things that never stops - though some might argue death sort of puts an end to it, I would disagree. It only ends what we know of Life. But, that's a discussion for another time.
I wanted to stop by and thank you for your message on my blog. It's rare that anyone but Jorge leaves a note and it feels very, very good.
Please come by anytime, you are most welcome.
I will make it a point to swing by here, as well.
Thanks again, Gayle

African Refugees said...

This is a good reflection on the battle within - what an excellent read, Technobabe!

Nevertheless, although the struggle for inner peace may continue in some form, the long-term solution lies deeply embedded in our souls.

Thanks for the thought!