Pages

June 04, 2008

Riding A Bike

I have heard the saying "It's just like riding a bike" when people are encouraging someone to get back up and do something again.

In my case IT IS riding a bike.

I had not ridden a bike in so many years that I did not see that as being part of my life again. When I was a young mother, I would ride with my kids and I would put the youngest one on the child bike seat with a helmet and we would ride all over. And then one afternoon I rode my bike to the local convenience store, put some glass liter bottles of sodas in my bike basket, and headed home. There was a slight incline that I did not anticipate and I fell, bottles breaking all over the gas station lot, and when I drove myself to the emergency room the next day, I was told my left elbow was broken. Bummer.

That was many years ago.

Then about 5 or 6 years ago, I slipped and fell on a misty morning and hurt my tail bone, my shoulder, broke my wrist, and broke my RIGHT elbow. Again, bummer.

A couple years ago I started riding a bike again. Trying to. Determined to. For the exercise this time. I have bought at least 5 different bike seats, and a couple different types of bike seat covers. My tail bone hurts regardless of what I sit on. When I am sitting on a couch or a soft chair, I eventually find that I have scooted down (very poor posture) because my tail bone hurts. I don't usually think much about that though because at my age lots of things hurt from time to time. There is yet another bike seat cover in the mail; this one has gel cushioning.

We rode about 8 miles today. The handlebars are now the height that fits my size best. The seat is at a good height. I am working the gears better. So all that is needed is a comfy seat.

No comments: